Review Mortgage Lenders

Kealia Properties

Homes for Sale - 4559 KAAO RD - Kealia, HI 96751 - Kacy Chatfield

Other 3 beds 2 baths Kacy Chatfield CENTURY 21 All Islands www.century21.com

Meeting eyes 253-lot subdivision

KAPAA — An program on Kealia Mauka Homesites is on tap for Saturday.

The Wailua-Kapaa Neighborhood Association is hosting the free discussion on the Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the 253-lot subdivision from 2 to 4 p.m. at Kapaa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple in the community room.

Guest speakers are Moana Kinimaka Palama of Hawaii Management Services, LLC, the Kauai representative for Kealia Properties LLC, and Scott Ezer of HHF Planners, Honolulu.

“This is a valuable opportunity to assess the project and look closely at the details,” said Wailua-Kapaa Neighborhood Association Chair, Rayne Regush.

The Draft EIS Appendix include studies such as a Traffic Impact Analysis Report, Preliminary Engineering Reports for Wastewater and Drainage, Archaeological and Cultural Assessments, Botanical and Biological Surveys, and a Kapaa Housing Market Study.

The subdivision will be located off Kealia Road, uphill from the Kealia post office and adjacent to the existing neighborhood of Hopoe and Kaao Roads.

Kauai's Spalding Monument

On Sunday afternoon, April 20, 1930, dedication services chaired by K. Miyasaki and S. Takata were held at Kauai’s Spalding Monument, which had been recently erected by Japanese residents of Kealia in honor of former Makee Sugar Co. owner Colonel Zephaniah S. Spalding (1837-1927).

Spalding Monument was constructed of concrete and lava rock two miles above Kealia at the junction of what was then called the Government Road, now known as Kealia Road, and Valley House Road, presently designated Hauaala Road.

Mounted in the center on a large stone was affixed a plaque bearing the likeness of Colonel Spalding, and below that plaque, another plaque was attached bearing an inscription with the date of Spalding’s birth and death.

Nowadays, and for quite some time, perhaps since the 1990s, both plaques remain, but the likeness of Col. Spalding on one plaque, and the inscription on the other, have been defaced.

The principal speaker at the dedication was Philip L. Rice, who would become, in 1956, the last chief justice of the Supreme Court of the Territory of Hawaii.